18 July 2005

Soldier vs. Contractor


FOXNews.com Readers Respond to Contractor Series - here you will find personal opinions and links to articles on this subject

It is well known if you are a contractor in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom that some people resent the fact that you are well paid. In my experience most do not, or if they do, then they understand why.

As I am writing this blog I'm sitting in an office with my co-workers, all of whom are government contractors. Three are retired from the Army, one is an Army Reserve officer, one is a senior NCO in the Air Force Reserve, and the other two, myself included, were in the Army for one enlistment.

In my opoinion it is very careless for some to express themselves they way they did on FOXNews.com. Government contractors perform many necessities for soldiers, just as soldiers do for contractors, but both work for a common goal. To reduce either group to a set of stereotypes that can't be proven only shows the true character of the "label maker".

I'm tired of hearing complaints of any type that have their roots in money. If the haves and the have nots are eating away at you then maybe you need to do some introspection, or get a new job. The last time I checked we all have made choices, and the result of those choices is seen in the present.

As for the argument that "contractors don't deserve the amount of money they are paid" is purely ridiculous. If that were true, then it would also have to be true that the government is overpaying those who they employ (corporations). Contracts are bid on by the government, and the contract is almost always won by the lowest bidder. If the work can be done cheaper, then why aren't more companies offering a better price? Surely some company out there would take the business. The truth is whether you are civilian or military, that your skillset may be very valuable, and it is probably cheaper for the government if you are not in the military. A private company does not have all the expenses that the military does, therefore; they can offer better wages to their workers. You might want to look into how much it costs the Pentagon to employ a soldier. You will quickly find out that most of that money doesn't land in your pockets. But then again it is much easier to be angry at what we don't understand, so lets just hate contractors.

Another popular argument is that the military's job is more dangerous, and that contractors get paid more to do the same job in a safer environment. I can't speak for every person and situation, but I can speak for myself. My coworkers and I provide technical support to the military on various electronic computer and communication systems. These systems are spread out all over Iraq. So naturally we do a lot of traveling to make sure these systems are operational. I have been here since March of 05, and I have already been to most areas of Iraq. For the last 2 months I might have been at my home station for a total of 1 week. We travel on helicopters, convoys, and when we are lucky fixed wing aircraft. All this is done without a weapon. We might not be ground pounding through the streets of Baghdad, but it's definitely not the safest job. I don't remember the last time I talked to my mother, and she said she wasn't worried because I wasn't in the military. The truth is it's a very dangerous job, and most people wouldn't even think about doing it. The good majority of soldiers on large FOB's never leave the wire. So to say that contractors have it easy is to be unaware.

Furthermore; not all companies have people waiting in line to come over here. Companies that have a hard time finding people are those that employ people with a strictly military skillset, and security clearances. Often times the only people they can hire are those who performed a certain job in the military. One must wonder then why the military doesn't just have their own people do the job. Many of the units I have visited in Iraq have their guys and gals performing other duties that are not job specific. I'm sure there are many reasons why military personal can't do their actual MOS related work, however; someone needs to do the work. Sorry it has to be a well paid person, but that is the way it works. If you can't do something, you pay someone else to do it. Don't bad mouth the guy that landscapes your yard, or the little old lady that cleans your house, because over time they will become less helpful. Then you will be forced to do the things you don't want to do or can't do.

Thankfully I have not personally encountered any people like the ones broadly generalizing contractors in the FOXNews.com responses. Most of our guys are friends with our military counterparts. Don't forget that you might want a job someday, and you may need friends who can help you transition into civilian life. Don't hate, cooperate....

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 27 July, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mother does indeed WORRY... military or not....you have no idea... You are presently costing me @40.oo every 3 weeks to have my nails done.....otherwise I appear to be a neurotic nail biter.... not actually biting them, just pick them to the bone everytime I hear of bad occurances in Iraq... I THINK ABOUT YOU AND WORRY EVERY EVERYDAY LOVE MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home